Home Project Overview Gallery Staff Volunteer Information Academic Credit Financial Support Financial Support

Introduction | History of Research | Historical and Biblical Connections | Affiliated Organizations and Resources

Ron E. Tappy, Project Director and Principal Investigator
G. Albert Shoemaker Associate Professor of Bible and Archaeology
Director, James L. Kelso Bible Lands Museum
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
tappy@fyi.net

Affiliated Organizations and Resources
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
616 North Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206

Ph: (412) 362-5610
Fax: (412) 363-3260
Web: www.pts.edu

The James L. Kelso Bible Lands Museum
Dr. Ron E. Tappy, Director
Dr. Karen Bowden Cooper, Curator

Ph: (412) 924-1394
Fax: (412) 924-1428
Email: kbowden@pts.edu
Web: www.pts.edu

The discipline of archaeology at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary goes back to 1908, when Professor M. G. Kyle became the first lecturer in Biblical Archaeology at a Protestant seminary in the United States. The Seminary launched into field exploration in 1924, when Professors Kyle and William Foxwell Albright, of the American Schools of Oriental Research in Jerusalem, explored Moab and the Dead Sea plain. Upon Professor Kyle's return, Pittsburgh Seminary formed a museum in 1926. The Bible Lands Museum received its present home in the Long Administration Building in 1964.

James L. Kelso joined the faculty of PTS in 1928 and became Professor of Old Testament History and Archaeology. He directed and promoted a number of excavations in Palestine, lectured widely in the Pittsburgh area, and tutored many students in Biblical Archaeology. In appreciation of his efforts in developing the museum collections and his contributions to the Seminary in general, PTS named the museum The James L. Kelso Bible Lands Museum in 1975.

Having participated in more archaeological explorations than any Protestant seminary in the world, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary enthusiastically welcomes friends of all ages, lay people and pastors, students and scholars to visit the Bible Lands Museum and to study its collections. The artifacts in our holdings are completely catalogued and incorporated into the Museum's database.

Other organizations and valuable resources:

The W. F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research
Dr. Seymour Gitin, Dorot Director of the Institute
PO Box 19096
91190 Jerusalem
Israel

Ph: (972-2) 626-4424
Fax: (972-2) 628-8956
Email: Director@albright.org.il
Web: www.aiar.org

The American Schools of Oriental Research
ASOR Office at Boston University
656 Beacon Street
5th Floor
Boston, MA 02215-2010

Ph: (617) 353-6570
Fax: (617) 353-6575
Email: asor@bu.edu
Web: www.bu.edu/asor/

The Biblical Archaeology Society, publishers of Biblical Archaeology Review
Hershel Shenks, Editor
4710 41st Street NW
Washington, D. C. 20016

Ph: (202) 364-3300
Fax: (202) 364-2636
Email: bas@bib-arch.org
Web: www.bib-arch.org or www.bib-arch.org/barjf00/digs2.html

Back To Top
Ron E. Tappy, Project Director
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Sponsor
616 North Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206

E-mail tappy@fyi.net     Phone: 412-924-1427    Fax: 412-924-1428

The Zeitah Excavations
2000 © All Rights Reserved